Tuesday, March 22, 2011

experience number one

Remember how I mentioned in this post that I wanted to talk about experiences this week?
Well here is the first one. 
More to come as the week goes on.


When I was just a baby
(yep that's my little self you're looking at up there), 
I was adopted by a wonderful couple 
that I like to call "mom" and "dad."
My birth parents were only 17 and 19 when I was born, 
and not ready to become parents. 
I've never met them and I know almost nothing about them, 
other than some very basic demographics, such as their hair color, height, etc.
Is anyone surprised that they both had curly brown hair?
Yep, that's where my curly locks came from.

I was 22 days old when my mom and dad flew into New Hampshire to pick me up and see me for the first time.  They too have never met my birth parents.
I'm grateful to my birth parents every day though, especially my birth mother.
It takes courage to carry a baby that you know you will be giving away.
Giving away to a family that you know nothing about.
I was fortunate enough to be adopted into a wonderful family.
A family that I belong in.
A family that fits me.
A family that I'm supposed to be in.
And most of all, a family that I love.
A family that I'm proud to call family.


When I was 3 years old, we adopted my little brother.
I had prayed and prayed for a little brother
and had picked out his name before he was even born,
always calling him "my baby James."
My brother's birth mother was only 15 when he was born,
and we adopted him within the first month of his life as well.
Over the years, whenever my brother and I argued, my mom's remark was always, "you prayed him here."
Though annoying, this was always a great reminder to me,
I love my little brother to pieces.
We quarrel, we disagree, we jest.
But most of all, we love each other.

People have always been hesitant to ask details of my adoption,
and I've never really understood why.
I love that I'm adopted and that my brother is adopted as well.
I've never called my family my "adoptive family" because frankly, they're my real family.
No question about it.
Family is so incredibly important to me and I think that adoption has only made us
a closer and stronger family.
And that is something that I'm grateful for.

(Yes, I had a bit of an afro people...I'm aware. You'd laugh if you could see some of the other pictures I have...)

6 comments:

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips

It's so awesome how positive you are about this part of your life! Such a blessing to have a great family, no matter how it came to be!

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

Such an awesome post!! I'm glad to see someone so honest and open with being adopted. I truly think it's amazing that your birth mother gave you up, knowing that you would go to a family that would love you!!

amanda said... Best Blogger Tips

You and your brother were such cute kiddos! And your mom saying "you prayed him here" is about the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Do you plan on adopting in the future? I only ask because a girl I went to high school with was adopted from Korea. She went on to have a biological child and then adopt a little girl from Korea as well. :)

Kimberlee said... Best Blogger Tips

What a beautiful story of adoption. Isn't life crazy - how it all works out.

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said... Best Blogger Tips

This is just lovely, Candace.. Thanks for sharing :)