Saturday, September 1, 2012

bakin' up a storm

Lately I've been spending quite a bit of time in the kitchen. 
One, because I love baking and cooking.
And two, because I've had a lot of extra time on my hands lately.
With hubby back in school and working, I'm just hanging out until baby makes his arrival.

I've enjoyed doing weekly meal planning and making the occasional treat every week.  
This past week, I made mochi (a Japanese dessert) for the first time.
We took it to an international potluck that we went to at hubby's professor's house last weekend.
The recipe was SO easy to make and made about 75 pieces.  
I will definitely be adding it to my potluck recipe collection.  
I'll post the recipe soon if anyone wants to try and make their own mochi at home.



I've also been trying out different homemade bread recipes.
Yes, store bread is convenient, but there is just something so wonderful about biting into a piece of warm, homemade goodness.
So far I've tried out two different recipes, both using loaf pans.
I just want a really good homemade wheat bread recipe that I can make in my pans.
Don't get me wrong, both the recipes I've tried so far have been delicious, but I've had some trouble getting them to rise properly.  
I want a really lofty bread that will be good for sandwiches.  
Feel free to send recipe suggestions my way.

And in the mean time, I'll enjoy a nice warm slice of bread topped with wonderful honey butter.

0 comments: